As parents we have to make many decisions. These start even before our children arrive. I feel that before you have kids you and your partner should be on the same page about how you want to raise your children or at least somewhat on the same page. I mean this in the sense of immunizations, co-sleeping, food choices, discipline and so on. Dean and I are mostly on the same page, we do however conflict a bit on immunizations as I am pretty much against them except for the meningococcal C conjugate and if Zephran hasn't had chicken pox by the time he is 12 or 13 he will be vaccinated for that. My reasoning behind not wanting to vax is NO not because I think they cause autism, I am not that much of a moron, but because the risks and chances and statistics of vaccine injury GREATLY outweigh the benefits of the vaccine itself. Dean however has not done as much reading on this as I have so I am trying to get him to read up more just so he understands where I am coming from. So far Zephran is not vaccinated and when he does get the meningococcal C conjugate it will be right before he starts school.
We do not co-sleep though Zephran was in a bassinet in our room up until he was 4 months old. I would like to co-sleep but on the other hand I am wayyy to scared I would roll over on him or I wouldn't get to sleep because I would always be checking on him. I do like the idea of co-sleeping if we were directly breastfeeding however so maybe for our next baby!
We also believe in extended rear facing, this means that just because when Zephran is a year and over 20lbs he will be staying rear facing for as long as possible. Health Canada's website says to actually keep them rear facing for as long as possible, even though the law is that you can switch them forward facing. Either way he will stay rear facing for as long as a car seat allows him to be! There is more for him to look out the back window out anyways lol.
Since Zephran is getting to be around the age that solids are introduced into the diet I thought I would touch on that. We have decided to do baby led weaning which I have mentioned in previous posts. This means that we will not be doing puree's but instead will be teaching Zephran to chew before swallowing instead of just swallowing. However we will not be starting this until his tongue thrust reflex is gone, till he can sit by himself, shows interest in food and also until breastmilk is not sustaining him anymore. We will not just be starting because oh geez he is 6 months old. For example you give the baby half a banana with a bit of the top unpeeled so that they can grab it and put it in their mouths themselves. Some people find this to be a bit scary because of the choking factor, however you are sitting right there watching what they are doing making sure they do not shove the whole banana in their mouths. Gagging is completely normal however, its part of starting solids whether they are whole or pureed. I think we will probably start with steamed carrots or banana's and go from their, I would like to also try avocados as they are such a good source of fat! I do not plan on giving Zephran any sugar or crap either, whether family thinks its cute or its his first birthday its not gonna happen, that is just me though. Kids can have treats that don't have to be full of shit haha
Another decision we made was one made before Zephran was born. We decided against circumcision. The reasoning behind this is because it is completely unecessary. I didn't feel like causing my child unecessary pain. I think the worst reason for getting it done that I have heard from many women is that it looks nicer. I was unaware that your opinion of your sons penis should cause you to make that decision. I believe that when he grows up if he wants it done then he can make that decision. Sure I think it looks nicer to but a penis is a penis is a penis lol. The same goes if we had a girl, I would never pierce her ears until she was old enough to know what that meant as well as be responsible enough to take care of them and clean them.
On discipline, well I don't believe in hitting a child. spanking for me is a no go. Violence is never the answer and your child should NEVER be scared of you. We will not be spanking or yelling at Zephran for discipline because there are many other positive methods to use.
On another note we are all doing awesome. Zephran is growing up sooo fast, he is probably around 18-20lbs now and over 2 feet long. He is rolling over a ton and giggling lots as well as he will sit by himself for short periods. I am still pumping for him and he has still not had any formula which I am very proud of! We go to Calgary Children's hospital at the end of this month to see hematology because my mom has a bleeding disorder and he needs to be checked prior to his cleft palate repair surgery in September. I am not looking forward to the bloodwork we have to have done next week for his appt on the 29th. I am however excited to go to the Calgary zoo and to build a bear and just to be out of Medicine Hat for a few days. We also see the cleft palate team again in April as well. Lots of trips coming up! We are hoping to go camping this summer too, I want to tent but I think we will be staying in a cabin or something to that effect. i was also thinking of maybe going to the mountains for a few days as I haven't been to the mountains in forever. Who knows! Anyways until next time!


1 comments:
March 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM
You know I love you all! Supporting you and so proud of the amazing, strong mother you are! Keep trusting your instincts. <3
Post a Comment